The collection includes several statues and statue fragments of Buddha and bodhisattvas, as well as a series of scenic reliefs showing the life of Buddha, a small stupa in pieces and a number of finely-crafted stone vessels. The Hellenistic influence is noticeable in the figures’ contrapposto, hard-cut nose, eyebrows, eyelids and lips.
A linga from the 11th to 12th century is from also India. It is a piller that is shaped as rectangle at the bottom, octagonal in the middle and round at the top. While the lower and middle third are roughly cut, the upper third is finely polished and adorned with high reliefs of four heads. All four heads with a third eye on the forehead denote Shiva, the fearful crowned head Aghora. The towering hair on the other three heads symbolizes Shiva as Mahyogin and as dhurjattin (who “carries a burden in his hair’). A linga can take the form of a phallus to illustrate the Shiva’s life-giving power. The collection also includes two latticed screens (jali) from around 1700, the Mughal period.
A photograph by Gundlach shows the head of a young Cambodian next to the head of an old Khmer statue. It is surprising to see how the ethnic group from the historic, 9th to 15th century Khmer Empire (centered in Angkor Wat) has been preserved to this day: with their their broad forhead, heavy cheekbones and protruding jaw, both faces match in an almost rectangular facial shape. In addition to numerous clay vessels and ceramic fragments, the collection inventory also includes a number of stone sculptures.